Free from Medicare: Got Physical Activity?
How often have we heard that prevention of the most expensive and chronic conditions is the best way to manage and reduce healthcare costs. Research has demonstrated again and again that physical activity participation (ACSM guidelines) power prevention. That is the cornerstone of the HCD Wellness Resource Network processes and solutions.
To save lives — and money — lost to preventable diseases, the Affordable Care Act offers all Medicare beneficiaries a wide range of preventive services. These services are free with no co-pay involved.
Look at the list below and note the absence of any physical activity program or PA counseling in the mix. Yes, these tests are important – but so is habit change and the development of an Active Wellness Engagement (AWE) lifestyle.
Services now free to most Medicare beneficiaries include:
- A one-time “welcome to Medicare” preventive visit
- A yearly wellness visit
- Screening for heart disease
- Breast cancer screening (mammograms)
- Cervical and vaginal cancer screening
- Prostate cancer screening
- Flu, pneumococcal, and hepatitis B vaccines
- Osteoporosis screening
- Smoking cessation counseling
- HIV screening
- Diabetes screening
- Medical nutrition counseling for people with diabetes or kidney disease